CoD4 Patch Issues [SOLVED]

CoD4 Patch Issues [SOLVED]

Thread started by anomaIy on Saturday, 2:25pm February 2nd with 13 replies. Views: 4,947

anomaIy
Level: BRONZE
Alright, so around a week ago I uninstalled/reinstalled cod4 (due to a possibly relevant font change I tried to do, see bottom of post), but now when I try to patch the game up to 1.6 this happens:

First, it freezes at this point for a minute or so after extracting:
[img]http://puu.sh/1W84u[/img]

After the pause, this message pops up:
[img]http://puu.sh/1W84P[/img]

At this point if you click No, the install wizard ends and nothing happens, but if you hit yes, this message pops up:
[img]http://puu.sh/1W85f[/img]
(if you hit retry it comes up with the 'successfully installed' screen, even though it blatantly hasn't successfully installed, and if you hit cancel it just exits)

I've gone to that directory to have a look for myself, and the .msi file it's looking for is definitely there:
[img]http://puu.sh/1W8cN[/img]
(the directories are different in the two above images because I took the screenshots during two different patch attempts, so that's not the issue)

I should note that it's not as simple as skipping the 1.6 patch and running the 1.6-1.7 patch, because in-game the version in the bottom right says v1.05 or something, and when I try to run the 1.6-1.7 patch it says that 1.6 is installed... so the whole thing is something of a headache. At the moment my game is installed, stuck as version 1.0.

I've tried installing to multiple directories on two different drives, tried moving the patch around (even though that probably shouldn't matter), tried uninstalling and removing everything in registry to do with cod4 with both regedit and ccleaner before trying again. I tried copying nuke's version.ini file and editing the version to 1.0 but it's still detecting 1.6 as installed. And no, I don't think the patch is defective; it's the one from GamersHell, the sameone that I've used for years.

I've been capped for the last week so I didn't really bother looking around the net for a solution up until now, but from what nuke's found, a potential fix could be to torrent the game and run the registry hack that comes with it (one fix that a player with a similar problem used). Short of doing that I'm fairly stumped.

As for the font change I mentioned at the beginning, I tried installing the Chinese font for cod4 back when my game was working fine (it didn't work, everything just came up as dots), so perhaps there are some kind of leftover Chinese relics in the registry that ccleaner won't detect, but I have no idea where to look to find them. I have a feeling this is at the root of the problem, but the other people who have had this problem mentioned nothing to do with Chinese fonts, so I'm not sure.

shitty tl;dr: after reinstalling cod4 I can't patch it to 1.6 because it detects it as already installed, but in actuality it's still stuck in 1.0

Any help would be appreciated, thanks guys.

EDIT:
FIX: install and patch cod4 on a different computer/portable drive and then copy the files back across
Posted 2:25pm Feb 2nd 13 and edited 7:01pm Feb 5th 13
Shieldeh

uninstall it with it, then try complete re-install.
Posted 3:27pm Feb 2nd 13
TheTravieDee
Similar problem happened to me back in the days when I had a cracked version of cod4 1.0 I downloaded 1.6 patch and I had a problem with pk_harbour downloading or something, even when I deleted it form my usermaps it wouldn't download or anything. So when I tried to reinstall the patch it said it was already installed on my comp. So I bought the actual game (which was already in 1.7). If I bought the disc that comes as 1.0 I might not be playing it:P
Posted 3:28pm Feb 2nd 13
spachala
Try re-downloading the 1.6 patch, it's possible that the .msi is damaged.

Also, try running the patch as an administrator, and you can also try using one of the compatibility options (use WinXP SP3)

If this doesn't work, try uninstalling completely using something like revo uninstaller (or Comodo program manager like Shieldeh suggested). This will completely remove all traces of CoD, including the registry.

Install CoD4 from scratch, and then try installing the 1.6 patch again.
Posted 3:34pm Feb 2nd 13
ody

Registry cleaner. Get one.
Posted 3:42pm Feb 2nd 13
Skitz!
Posted 4:14pm Feb 2nd 13
anomaIy

download comodo program manager

uninstall it with it, then try complete re-install.

Quote from Shieldeh on the 2nd of February 2013

ninstall with revo uninstaller

Quote from Skitz! on the 2nd of February 2013

If this doesn't work, try uninstalling completely using something like revo uninstaller (or Comodo program manager like Shieldeh suggested). This will completely remove all traces of CoD, including the registry.

Quote from spachala on the 2nd of February 2013
thanks guys, I'd had this suggested to me while I was capped but couldn't download them for obvious reasons. I'll give this a shot tomorrow.

Try re-downloading the 1.6 patch, it's possible that the .msi is damaged.

Also, try running the patch as an administrator, and you can also try using one of the compatibility options (use WinXP SP3)

Quote from spachala on the 2nd of February 2013
it's literally the same exact file I've always used so unless it's magically deteriorated over the years, I don't think that's the problem (but then again it probably will be because fuck logic), but at this point I'll try anything short of reformatting, thanks spach

Short answer:

Registry cleaner. Get one.

Quote from odyssey n_n on the 2nd of February 2013
that's probably not it

tried uninstalling and removing everything in registry to do with cod4 with both regedit and ccleaner

Quote from anomaIy on the 2nd of February 2013
Posted 4:31pm Feb 2nd 13
ody

tried uninstalling and removing everything in registry to do with cod4 with both regedit and ccleaner

Quote from anomaIy on the 2nd of February 2013

WELL THAT WASN'T IN THE TL;DR, WAS IT?
Posted 5:46pm Feb 2nd 13
anomaIy
just tried uninstalling with Revo, no luck

re-downloading patch from a different website now

EDIT: didn't work, cod is die
EDIT 2: also tried compatibility mode / run as admin and no luck
Posted 3:05pm Feb 4th 13
Skitz!
reinstall windows?
Posted 3:43pm Feb 4th 13
anomaIy

I'll probably install cod4 on another computer and patch it up to 1.7 there then just copy the files over to this computer (suggestion courtesy of neg)
Posted 3:46pm Feb 4th 13
revenge.
had a problem like this when installing bf and had to like change a registry file to say the game was 1.0.

edit: oh fuck nvm you already tried this
Posted 7:57pm Feb 4th 13
noscje
Happened to me, I moved the game to a portable drive and installed the patch on another pc.
Posted 11:38pm Feb 4th 13
anomaIy

I'll probably install cod4 on another computer and patch it up to 1.7 there then just copy the files over to this computer (suggestion courtesy of neg)

Quote from anomaIy on the 4th of February 2013

Happened to me, I moved the game to a portable drive and installed the patch on another pc.

Quote from Oh Torres on the 4th of February 2013
yeah I just did this and it's working now, thanks for the suggestions guys!
Posted 6:59pm Feb 5th 13